Thursday, June 21, 2007

a season for change

So here recently I have been thinking a lot about life, and health. I have decided since I am now 23, I am going to spend this year attempting to better myself as a human being. I know that it's not going to be easy, and I'm going to have to do a lot of research and reading. But I think that I'm ready to take a real attempt to find out about a lot of things and test them out and see what I think and if I don't like it, then I won't do them anymore.

Life changing thing number 1...

Become a vegetarian. Ha who am I kidding, I'm dating a Brower. But I am interested in trying to consume more naturally raised meats. According to The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), an estimated 70 percent of antibiotics and related drugs made in the United States are used for the purpose of fattening livestock. They say that it shouldn't be a huge concern although they cannot tell the certain effects of it at this time, but that there are already many diseases that have stopped responding to antibiotics. And if antibiotics are used in healthy animals, it is likely it will not kill all of the bacteria and it will be easier for us to get food poisoning. And not to mention how inhumane some of the animals are produced and treated.

I will keep you updated on my efforts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck splinds.

are you going for real vegetarian? or just more "morally responsible" omnivore?

mallory alison said...

so i'm a little behind on the blogging, but sounds like a good plan!