So my sociology professor posed a statement a couple of weeks ago that I have been thinking about a lot lately. It confuses me and I'm not sure if I'm just blind to this statement and it reigns truth or if it's just an opinion and should be disregarded. So here's the statement:
Nobody is an individual. If you want to know who someone is, or who they are going to be, just look at their parents and you will find out.
What do you think?
Friday, February 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i think it's true.
but that's so vague and general that it really isn't saying anything.
for example:
there's a family with a mom, dad, and two kids (A and B).
mom and dad both smoke.
dad eventually dies of lung cancer.
kid A is a smoker.
kid B is not a smoker.
one could say that kid A is a smoker because his parents are smokers.
but you could also say that kid B isn't a smoker because he/she has seen first hand the effects of smoking.
i don't think you can say that kids will be exactly like their parents. but the decisions they make are directly related to not only the influence of the parents (depending of course on the level of involvement of the parents), but also the genetic make up.
does that help?
I agree. It is very vague. In your case I can see ways that you are like your mother (i.e. You are fun to be around and have a genuine love for people) and there are some ways that you are not like your mom (you don't have a chihuahua named Cha-chi). But I love your mom and I love you. Johnny seemed to sum up what I was getting at though.
Post a Comment